Here at the Shaw Academy, we’re challenging our nutrition students to make real improvements to their health.
We are determined to show that it really is the little things that matter when it comes to health and wellness. In order to to achieve this, we’ll be setting our students a #ShawNutritionChallenge every week.
To kick it off, we’re starting with the most vital of all substances: Water.
Did you know that 2/3 of our body consists of water?
Humans can live for approximately three weeks without food. However, without water, the average human will last only three days on average.
Yet so many of us neglect to achieve our recommended daily intake of 6-8 glasses a day.
We want to change that, so we’re challenging our students to meet their RDA of water every day for a week.
Benefits of Water:
- Helps to maintain balance of bodily fluids
- Improves energy levels
- Can aid weight loss
- Energise muscles
- Keeps skin looking good
- Helps kidney flush out toxins
- Aids a healthy bowel
Aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day:
- You may need more or less, depending on levels of exercise, climate and illness
- Water is the best way to hydrate yourself
- Don’t confuse thirst and hunger
- Coffee and tea can contribute to your fluid intake
- Foods such as fruit and vegetables also count as a source of water- 20% of fluid intake is from food
Here are some helpful and practical tips you can use in order to increase your water intake:
- Drink water before meals
- Sip slowly during the day
- Leave a glass on the counter or desk- somewhere within reach
- Sugar free flavoured water
- No added sugar diluted drink to flavour water
- Tea & coffee count
- Herbal teas; peppermint, camomile
- Add sliced fruit to water
We are drinking our 8 glasses a day… are you up for the challenge?
Looking to enhance your knowledge of nutrition? Join our top-rated professional diploma in nutrition today!